Monday, 18 April 2011
To the Beet
In previous years when I have sown beetroot, I have done it in either seed trays or modules then transplanted out at the spacing I required, depending on the size wanted. This year I tried something different. I didn't use any special mix as with my other roots as, I thought I can't do everything perfect in my first year or 1. it will break be financially and 2. if I try to many things in my first year they will not each be given as much attention as required so will probably end up with nothing of a decent standard. I did however use a similar method to the other roots by boring a hole about 10" deep and 4" wide and filling it with normal compost up to an inch of the top. I then put a small collar around each one. I spaced them about 6" apart. I sowed 2 rows this weekend and will do 2 rows each weekend for the next 2 weeks so I will have 6 rows in all, each 2 rows at a weeks interval of each other. This way, I should have more chance of ensuring I have some of the correct size.